Thursday, June 10, 2010

Following Footsteps

Red Dust by Ma Jian - a Chinese painter cum photographer, is a journal of his experience traveling around china, during it's trying time under Mr Deng Xiao Ping, who was clamping down on "Spiritual Pollution". From Bei Jing, to Mongolia, to Xi'an, Shang Hai, to Tibet, Guang Zhou...

Then came Matt Gross, the Frugal Traveler of Nytimes, who followed the lead of Patrick Leigh Fermor, departing on a "frugal europe, on foot" journey, from Vienna to Budapest, a 180-mile route, tracking part of Patricks trail 70 over years ago.

While reading Ma's 3 years of exceptional experience has been keeping me off my chair, a whole world of reality has been gravitating me back on to it. difference? Matt writes about his travel experience for a living, while I sit in a office cubicle.

Who would pay me for my experience? I promise I'd tell a hell of a story (ies).

No comments: