Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Thalassaemia

I recently went for a full body check up, surprised that I have high cholesterol, even more surprised to find that I have Thalassemia, a inherited autosomal recessive blood disease, from dad no doubt.

Thalassemia will not affect my life or my life span in anyway, however, if my spouse is also suffering from the same disease, my child might not live pass 10 years old. if she does not have it, my child will have a 50% chance of inheriting it, like me my dad.

it was shocking when the doc told me "your child might not live pass 10 years old", but in some ways its soothing, too, to find that I inherited something from dad, good or bad, I retained a certain part of dad, and I feel closer to him, even though he is no longer around.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

life has to go on!